Unique Christmas Card IdeasNov 08th

Guys, I’m warning you, this Christmas I’m going NUTS with posts! I am so excited because I’m lined up for a few guest posts at some really awesome sites and *wink, wink* we’ll be talking about Christmas over there! So if you’re a Scrooge or Grinch, consider yourself warned.

If you’re like me, and love you some Christmas cards, then it’s time you start thinking about them. Because really, by the time you figure out your picture, create the print, order it, have it shipped, and then actually get them back in the mail–well, it’s probably the week before Christmas and that’s the last thing you want to be worried with.

Last year we did something way cute (in my humble opinion–that isn’t very humble) and opted for a cutesy, oh-so-Pinteresty chalkboard paint theme.

And then this.

I have no idea why the one of Coco is HUMONGOUS and Chaucer’s is itty bitty. Oh well.

I’m not quite sure what we’ll be sending out this year…maybe our Awkward Family Photos? I’m still thinking about it. So, if you’re stumped I’ve got the perfect listity list for you!

Without further ado, here are  10 Unique Christmas Card Ideas

1.) A Gingerbread Massacre. Take pictures of your adorable family assembling a Gingerbread family and

then…the aftermath.

2.) A Mall Picture. No, this isn’t what you think. I’m not talking about going to The Picture People or Sears (nothing against them) and having them do all the work. I’m talking about getting your family together in the very middle of the mall hullabalo, shopping bags in arms, holding a sign that says, “Are we having fun yet?” or “Christmas in America,” or something sarcastic like that. I think it would be spectacular.

3.) The Christmas Lot. Have I told you lately that I love Christmas tree lots? I actually wanted to get married in one because I had a December wedding.Unfortunately, Pinterest wasn’t around and I didn’t have enough testimonial “pins” to prove that it would in fact work. So, one day I was walking along, you know dilly dallying at the Christmas tree lot and a wedding was taking place.

So I jumped the bride and pummeled her to the ground. After she apologized for stealing my dream wedding she asked how she could make it up to me.

I made her buy me the most expensive tree in there!

That wasn’t a true story. But if it was it would be one of those “and that’s how Grandma Hill” got us the largest, most beautiful Christmas tree in the whole entire world.

4.) Hilarious picture with Santa.

Funny Santa, Santa crying, Santa and baby crying, Santa is mean

This can’t be one where both your kids look ecstatic to sit with him. Those usually aren’t funny. What you need to do in that situation is tell Santa to whisper to her that he knows she’s been really awful all year. And then snap that. I recommend this trump card only in the most dire of sorts.

5.) Photobombed by the Elf on the Shelf. And this is him, hanging out with me while I write this post. Creeper.

Ok, so by now, every second family in America has an Elf on the Shelf. In order for this to truly be pulled off you’ll have to plan a session with a photographer and bring along Mr. Elf. (thats what we call him). I think this arrangement would work bet if you just had him bomb one, take all the others for “serious.

6.) Ice Skating with a muff. I’ve always wanted to do that–you know like Joe in Little Women. Yes. Have your family dress in their fanciest ensemble, buy some ridiculous stocking hats and wear them. The girls should be in a dress with a beret or something and have her hands delicately laced through the muff.

See? See how picaresque that would be?….photobombed again by the Elf.

7.) Wearing hideously tacky Christmas sweaters :)

8.) The whole family wrapping presents. I don’t know what this would like in your house, but over here? MADNESS. I have to wrap when my kids are asleep otherwise they’re running and jumping over couch all the while unravelling a large luxury brand roll of Christmas paper. My kids also like to put tape all over their faces. And bows? Belong on you head, boobs, and butt.

So yah, that’s what our picture would look like. Fun, huh??

9.) If you want to look kinda snooty, get the red Starbucks holiday cups–don’t really fill them. Then grab every phone or iPad you have and gather around a fireplace. Now, the objective here is to look snooty, disconnected, and sort of modern family christmas. But you MUST all wear Santa hats, to give that nice touch of sweetness that you know is there 😉

10.) Awkward family photo! It’s harder than you think.

If you’re here from Finding The Funny you already are quite primed and prepped for funny posts. I would love to see your best Christmas photos–or worst, depending on how you look at it 😉

I want you to pick one of these prompts and stage the photo. Of course you are free to do as many as you like! The point is that you will use one of these as a Christmas card. Come on! Step outside of the box this year! Everyone (myself included)) always takes the manicured Christmas photo. But what if we all committed to sharing a FUNNY Christmas card this year? We could be the change, guys. Be. The. Change.

Maybe you don’t want to share a photo. That’s fine. I wanna hear a funny Christmas story. What was the worst gift you ever got? A Christmas baking disaster? The worst Christmas sweater or dress you had to wear. A Christmas you’ll never forget.

It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as it’s Christmas and funny or terrible we will love you forever!!

52 Responses to Unique Christmas Card IdeasNov 08th

1. ilene November 8, 2012 at 11:08 am #

As always, you are hilarious. The ginger bread massacre would definitely be MY kids. But I also love the snooty family idea with no one paying attention to each other drinking Starbucks and on their iPhones. By the way, you totally rock the Christmas sweater!

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks, that’s my sister with me and somehow we managed to score those awesome semi-matching sweater vests. We had a tacky Christmas party and it was so fun!

I hope you’ll join in on the linkup!!

2. Bridget @ Le. Rheims November 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

That is exactly where bows belong. Was someone questioning this? :)

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

Haha! Laughed out loud :)

3. Ginny Marie November 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

I love the Christmas tree lot idea, but we have a fake tree, so we would go, take pictures, and then leave without buying anything. Would that be fun or just plain mean?

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. You could look at the trees, and then decide that you like your fake one better :)

4. Kim November 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Great ideas and fun jumping off points for photos. While I am a big fan of well-done portrait photography, I love to get family Christmas cards that show the more humorous side of being a family. The Mall one is my favorite, as it would require some real gumption. Extra points for including curious looks from strangers in the photo!

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

I know! I think it might just be the one we have to do–since its so challenging!

5. Crystal November 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Love these ideas! Thanks for posting!

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Thanks! Wanna join the fun in taking some pics?

6. Stefani November 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Love this love this love this. Especially since I was just thinking “What the heck am I going to do for Christmas pictures? We’re poor.” This will work AND be awesome. Kudos.

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

Good! Join in! Plus there are so many ways to make your own Christmas cards using free scrapbooking stuff and PicMonkey!

7. DGMommy (Tamara) November 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

So fun! I don’t even have a camera, so don’t count me in, but I love the idea! I totally love the mall pic idea. It’s so crazy that time of the year that pic sounds perfect!

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

You could borrow a friends!

8. The Informal Matriarch November 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

great list and great ideas! Stopping by from mama kat’s

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Thanks for stopping by!!

9. Jamie November 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

That elf on the shelf is TRULY creepy. And kinda awesome. Visiting from Mama Kat’s!

• hillary November 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

I know, right?

10. faith November 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

This is such a great idea.

11. Rachel J. November 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Yes! I love this list. I think #9 is my favorite….though that creeper elf could make for some interesting photos. I’m actually the weirdo in America who doesn’t own an Elf on the Shelf though…

12. Crystelle November 9, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Cute ideas!

I especially like the chalkboard signs. I may have to use those!

hugs x
    Crystelle

• hillary November 9, 2012 at 6:30 am #

Go for it! It was actually super easy to make and they just make pictures all the more adorable!

13. May November 9, 2012 at 3:02 am #

The couple on the beach ….wow….classic love story! So beautiful. And mall Santas…is anyone ever smiling in these shots? Trauma…that is what is being documented there!

• hillary November 9, 2012 at 6:30 am #

Yep, that’s us :)

14. Kristiina November 9, 2012 at 3:26 am #

I love that you connected this to Little Women. I knew I liked you.

• hillary November 9, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Yay! Glad you got that 😉

15. Mo @ The Baby Is Fine November 9, 2012 at 3:39 am #

Where do I get an elf on the shelf? I feel left out.

My vote is for the awk photos. cannot go wrong with that. everyone will love you when they open it!!

• hillary November 9, 2012 at 6:30 am #

You can get them at bookstores…even Target. They’re everywhere!

16. Stephanie November 9, 2012 at 4:19 am #

Love your ideas! The awkward family photos would be hilarious, but after looking at your post it sounds harder to pull off than you’d think! Now you’ve got me thinking about what crazy photos we should take…thanks for the inspiration :)

• hillary November 9, 2012 at 6:31 am #

It is difficult, but actually its much easier to do awkward romantic photos than anything else! So do it!

17. Hollow Tree Ventures November 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

This is such a great idea! We don’t even do Christmas photos (except two years ago when I was hugely pregnant and took a pic of me in front of the tree in an old tank top, holding a fake gun up to a stuffed Frosty plush, but that wasn’t for Christmas, that was just for fun)… Wait, what was I saying? Oh yeah, we don’t do Christmas cards or photos, but I would totally do it with themes like these! Now which to choose…

• hillary November 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

You better join in for the linkup! I cant wait to see what people come up with!

18. kelley November 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

great card ideas! my favorite was the naughty/nice pictures. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

• hillary November 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Aww thank you! They were a big hit last year :)

19. carol November 10, 2012 at 6:36 am #

Great card ideas. It’s got me thinking….

• hillary November 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Good! Hope you come back for the linkup!

20. Kate @ Mommy Monologues November 15, 2012 at 6:24 am #

This is hilarious & brilliant all at the same time!

I’m going to see if I can one done & then I’ll link up!

Thanks for mentioning it on Twitter tonight!

• hillary November 15, 2012 at 7:09 am #

Thank you! We’ll be announcing the deets about the linkup probably next week sometime :)

21. Bethany @ Bad Parenting Moments November 19, 2012 at 2:18 am #

The awkward family photo! I’m dying. Was Time of Your Life playing in the background in a boom box? In my mind, it is. Hysterical post. If you ever do a blogger’s christmas photo, I want IN on the Little Women skating with muffs extravaganza.

• hillary November 19, 2012 at 2:46 am #

oh yes. We were totally channeling Dirty Dancing the whole time. You should definitely get in on this challenge!

22. Lori November 21, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Popping over from SITS to share the blog love!

Hope you have an awesome day!

PS I love your ideas for Christmas cards! They’re pretty awesome!

Take Care

• hillary November 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Thank you! You should totally participate in the challenge!

23. Inspire Me Heather November 27, 2012 at 11:29 am #

I love this post! I actually have your #4, my Son was bawling but Santa had a more “oh well” look to him. I just got an email as well with a hilarious collection of all the tacky family photos out there, I should send it to you…

• hillary November 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Yes! Please do! I would love to feature it :)

24. Justina January 5, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

If only I would have seen this before Christmas…

25. Cindy November 21, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

We put our baby on a blanket by the fireplace, buck naked except for a Santa hat, with the caption “Merry streakin’ Christmas.”

1. Things To Do With An Older Daughter - November 25, 2012

[…] with awkward photos. You can see my family’s awkward photos here, and read about my upcoming Christmas Photo Challenge while you’re at […]

2. Free Christmas Cards - November 30, 2012

[…] You know, this one fits us the best. But I sorta already did it last year. […]

3. Finding the Funny #46 - My Life and Kids - December 5, 2012

[…] post, as many posts as you want – but they MUST be holiday related (Need some inspirationg? Because My Life is Fascinating has some writing prompts for you. They’re not required, but they might get your creative […]

4. Finding the Funny: Holiday Edition - December 12, 2012

[…] how I said we’d have a linkup for awesomely funny holiday pictures? Yah. Well, that’s happening. […]

5. Fun Things To Do On Christmas Day With FamilyBecause my life is fascinating - April 4, 2014

[…] creative! If you need some funny photo ideas check out my Christmas Photography Bucket List for […]

6. Christmas Photo Ideas for Busy People | PicMonkey Blog - December 9, 2015