Helping Newtown: Light in the DarknessDec 19th

light in darkness

Hey guys,

How’s everyone doing? I’m pretty sure that the consensus would be that we’re all still reeling from the events of last week. It is nearly impossible to have a complete moment of joy and happiness without the subsequent aftershock of loss. I truly believe that we cannot be the same after such tragedy. We shouldn’t be. If your life is no different this week from last then you missed it, and as a human being you are expected to catch up.

On Monday I expressed my prayer for the families Newtown and for all immediately affected by Sandy Hook. I am still praying, as many of you are.

All across the blogosphere there has been activity and purpose. Individuals are rising up and following is not a ripple but a wave–a force ready to sweep in and shed light. There are several ways we can all be involved and I want to ask you guys to jump on board with me, and a million other bloggers in spreading light. You may already be doing this, you may have another game plan. That’s awesome.

1. The Snow Flakes. Have you heard about this? The Connecticut PTSA wants to welcome the students of Sandy Hook at their new school with a Winter Wonderland.

Imagine.

All clean. All white. All hand crafted.

Guys, this is simple but tangible. It’s something we can do with our children. It is a way we can touch these families and maybe make some kids smile. Be creative! Craft it with love and send your snowflakes to:

Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT  06514, by January 12, 2013.

2.) 26 Random Acts Of Kindness. Someone somewhere thought of this first. I don’t know who that person is, but I would say that collectively a lot of people are wanting to do this.

This is exciting! Imagine if every fifth person in America decided to do 26 random acts of kindness? I’m telling you, it’s not a ripple but a wave that we need right here. It can be something as simple as buying someone’s coffee behind you in line, or washing someone’s windows while they’re in the grocery store. Go hang out with someone in a nursing home. Look for cars that have broken down on the freeway and BE that person they need right then! {have you ever been that person broken down? It sucks! And it takes FOREVER for someone to help}

I will be doing this with my family throughout the remainder of this month and into the new year. I would love it if you would join in!

3.) Give. People who are grieving should not have to worry about money or food or laundry. Unfortunately, those are pressing needs that have to be met. Roo over at NiceGirlNotes lives just a few towns away from Newtown. She has compiled a list of legitimate funds that you can give to. Go check out her post and see what you can do!

Let’s put on the armor of light.

9 Responses to Helping Newtown: Light in the DarknessDec 19th

1. Natalia December 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

This is great, Hillary. Love the random acts of kindness one. Well, I love all of them, but that’s really tangible for me to do right now. Thanks for sharing!

• hillary December 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks, gal. Yeah, I am trying to figure out all the things to do.

2. ilene December 20, 2012 at 3:43 am #

I LOVE your ideas! This is the first I have heard about the snowflakes. That is a great idea! Thank you for all of these!

• hillary December 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks! I’m really excited to do the snowflakes. That’s something we can do with our kids!

3. Kim December 20, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Most encouraging, Hillary.

We often think there is nothing we can do to help, because the need is just too big or too far away. But it doesn’t mean we can’t reach out instead to those in our veritable backyard who are hurting in smaller but still significant ways.

I just love the ideas, especially the random acts of kindness. Folks can even do them close to home: help a neighbor bring in groceries, sit for a family in your neighborhood or church who is going through a rough spot and give them a certificate for $10 or $15 to go get coffee by themselves, offer to take someone else’s children for a walk or have them over to bake cookies. Go sit and chat with some folks in a senior center. Even just smiling and being nice to folks, complimenting them honestly on something can be just the lift they need.

• hillary December 20, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

I love the idea of giving someone a coffee date. We’ve been there–it would have meant the world if someone gave us a break.

4. Mothering From Scratch December 20, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

{Melinda} Thanks so much for sharing this. I love all these ideas. There is so much pain and need in Newtown right now. And there are needs around us everyday that tragedies like this seem to make us more aware of. I want to take a sense of purpose and determination to show compassion in big and little ways everywhere I go. It is so easy to get tunnel vision.

• hillary December 21, 2012 at 6:29 am #

Yes, especially for those of us who are far away from it all.

5. Chris Carter December 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Awesome ideas to put purpose to our pain. Thank you for this!! It’s awful to sit and feel helpless in knowing people are hurting and suffering so much. Doing something-anything is just one way to shine a bit of “light in the darkness”.