How to wear harem pantsMay 23rd

So…I hesitate coming out with this. Whenever you take any sort of stance about a current fashion trend you’re bound to have backlash. And by golly, I’ve had my share of backlash.

Granted, some of it came about a year ago when the crop top rage first hit the runways. Back then I was really worried that the trend would migrate to men’s fashion. Thank God the prophecies have so far proved false.

I’ve since furthered my claim with a vlog. Behold, I speak truth: the crop top is an evil trend, set out to destroy the average woman by her flub chub and dappled thighs.

There. I summed up my video so you don’t have to watch it.

Today, I come out with a secret that could reasonably shock many of you. {That is to say, shock you a tad less than my giant confession I made over a month ago. Now THAT was a real humdinger!}

*Clears throat*

Testing. Testing. Can you hear me now?

So, I kinda sorta have a thing for harem pants. As in I kinda sorta love them.

Now, ye who casts the first stone hear my plea.

Have you worn them?

Have you dipped your legs into the wonder that is the harem pant? Pants? Singular or plural?

Regardless.

They feel splendid. All the comfort of wearing a MuMu with the added luxury of pants. Like someone grabbed the MuMu by its hem and tucked it into the waist. Perfection personified.

Pants that give your crotch some space. Finally.

Now, I’ll have you know that I went to a lot of trouble to take these pictures. I live in a complex that renders a photoshoot something akin to seeing the classroom goldfish engage in spawning. I am quite sure I put on quite the show as I modeled for these silly photos.

But I’m branching out, yo. Trying to be all cool and fashionable and such. These photos might bring those endeavors to a crashing halt, but we’ll see. What’ve I got to lose, eh?

I present to you, my take on the harem pants. Pant. Pants? Crap!

harem pants

how to wear harem pants

Then there’s this. Changing it up with a little turn of the neck. So THIS is how fashion bloggers do it! This, and um, being fashionable.

how to wear harem pants

I like harem pants because you can do whatever the heck you want with them. Choose your own ending sort of scenario. I went with islandy accessories. I wore a belt. Not because there were belt loops. Not even cause I needed a belt.

No siree. I wore a belt because I COULD. Can’t stop this power.

wearing harem pants

Seriously? There is so much room in these pants! I could fit Chaucer and Coco in each leg. Heck, I could fit a harem in here! They don’t call these harem pants for nothin.

how to wear harem pants

And watch. I throw a blazer on and channel MC Hammer. You can bet your bottom dollar that these photos were fun to shoot with neighbors looking on. I KNOW my husband milked this for all it was worth.

Hammer time!

hammer time

Ok, go ahead. Hit me with the backlash. Are you a harem pant lover? Are you a hater?

I can take it. But please…go easy.

Linking up today with the fabulous MamaKat. Go check out her saweeet linkup!

31 Responses to How to wear harem pantsMay 23rd

1. MJ May 23, 2013 at 3:06 am #

Those look adorable on you. I have not tried this Harem pants thing out, but they sound right up my alley. Dropping my from Mama Kat’s!

2. Student Mom (Jenn) May 23, 2013 at 3:40 am #

Erm…
    Well I am a lover of the linen pant… so I can’t say anything… and I dabbled in knickerbockers for a bit there too…. however, my love for pedal-pushers runs deeper than the deep blue sea… so all is forgiven on the harem pant matter.

3. Hot Mess Princess May 23, 2013 at 3:44 am #

You are rock’in the harem pants, I have to admit. There will be no admonishment from this Hot Mess Princess (although I will say I once wrote a manic diatribe against the plus sized jegging – but that’s because I’m a plus sized girl with a healthy sense of reality those things are CRAY!)

I love your fashion sense!!

4. Caroline May 23, 2013 at 4:18 am #

And, I didn’t even know what the Harem Pant was before your *fabulous* photo shoot. Thank you. I think yours are quite cute.

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:17 am #

The more you know :)

5. Bethany @ Bad Parenting Moments May 23, 2013 at 5:43 am #

How else are you supposed to do any of MC Hammer’s influential dance moves without these pants? If anyone knows, please tell me. Also, you really can make anything cute. I’m rolling my eyes at your cuteness. I’d look like some drapes ate me if I tried those. Or, an Oompa Loompa. I believe they also rocked the Harem pants.

6. Natalia May 23, 2013 at 6:25 am #

I have to admit, when you first told me, I was a little bit like “really? I’ll have to see about this…” But you pull it off, they’re cute! You make me want to see if I could pull it off too!

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Ha! I remember that convo and you bein’ all skeptical haha! Now YOU could really rock them. Miss Model.

7. Shell May 23, 2013 at 7:03 am #

I could never pull that off. Then again, I have serious issues with any kind of pants(with the exception of yoga).

8. HouseTalkN May 23, 2013 at 7:10 am #

You are not alone. I love harem pants hard.

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Hard. :)

9. Dyanne @ I Want Backsies May 23, 2013 at 8:24 am #

I could wear those and fool myself into thinking my butt isn’t big, it’s just the pants….

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Exactly!It’s a nice feature if you think about it :)

10. Anne (@notasupermom) May 23, 2013 at 9:29 am #

You make anything look cute. I unfortunately have Stunt-Butt and cannot rock the loose yet tapered pant.

How fun was it to see this in my in-box? You make me smile with your shenanigans.

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Can we talk a little more about what a stunt butt is exactly? Thanks for smiling at my shenanigans :)

11. Amanda May 23, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Okay, when I first read this, I thought to myself, “Oh God No” But you actually look really cute! Not nearly as obnoxious as most people I see. I think you definitely pull them off.

12. Brittany May 23, 2013 at 10:32 am #

Okay, first of all, you are GORGEOUS!!!! Second, I love you and these pants! ha!

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Oh sheesh! Thanks, lady! These pants are like pajamas!

13. Sandy May 23, 2013 at 10:38 am #

I am a harem pant(s) lover. Heaven. I stick to solid colours though. :)

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Yay! Yes, I’m on the lookout for a pair of black ones. Can’t seem to find the right fit. It’s definitely a tricky trend.

14. Sue - The Spin Cycle May 23, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Girl? You speaka my language. I own a pair – a girlfriend who owns an awesome little boutique made me get them – and I like them. They’re cut like yours. Roomy…but not *too* roomy. Said girlfriend sells true MC Hammer throwbacks, too…with the crotch at the knees…and that? Is where I draw the line.

• hillary May 23, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Yah…I forgot to mention that I totally draw the line on crotch to the knees sort. Yuck. I just always imagine a giant diaper underneath. Whereas with mine the mysterious diaper is a little more mysterious.

15. Janice May 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

I have never heard of harem pants. pant. pants. whatever. lol.
    But girl, you make em’ look good!
    Oh and I totally love your hair.
    Also, I can’t believe you actually did “Hammer Time” in front of all those onlookers!

16. Miriam Gomberg May 23, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Hammer pants or even worse is muscle pants!! I think I just threw up in my mouth. Such a lovely trend deserves resurrection. M

17. tom montella May 24, 2013 at 12:21 am #

you are so darn beautiful! I love your harem pants and you!

18. kerri May 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

Incredible! More importantly, where did you get your sandals?

19. Chris Carter May 28, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

When did you start your modeling career? Like seriously- could you be anymore cuter and gorgeous?!!?? Those pants just look ADORABLE and so PRETTY on you!!!! Oh, I remember the days when I had a nice tight flat tum tum… notsomuchanymore. 😉

• hillary May 29, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Pah! Whatevs. I do not have a flat tum tum…that’s just part of the benefits of the high-wasted harem pant :)

20. Kate Pantier @ Project Hermosa May 29, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

Those are awesome! And I love the MC Hammer dance!

21. Manju G July 11, 2013 at 9:01 am #

LOVE all of these gorgeous Harem pants, so beautifully produced and perfect for every occasion. Such a beautiful blog you wrote.

You can find some more on my etsy shop as well

1. Seven Remix - June 5, 2013

[…] week I shared how I wore harem pants–judging by the response on harem pants, a good number of you hate them. And thats fine. They […]