The day is here! I am finally spilling the details, yes more details, about my freezer cooking adventure.
That’s what I’m calling it now. An adventure. Because I feel so very accomplished and brilliant when I thumb through my index of pre-cooked meals awaiting me in the freezer.
I had my doubts, you know. At first I was certain that the mess and hassle would not be worth it. But then I powered through it and made most of the meals in one day. We’ve worked our way through one week of food and hardly made a dent in our freezer! Oh, and Matt is totally thrilled with all the food so far!
Many of you asked for the menu plan and recipes, so I have decided to start a weekly post about the food situation. At least for now, while I’m still in the honeymoon stage with my freezer. Today I am going to share the meals we had last week, where you can find the recipes, and then one of my VERY OWN CREATIONS.
Um, the coolest thing ever? My recipe was Matt’s favorite dish of the week. Yipee!
Anywho, so if you guys are cool with that little change-up on the blog, I’ll try and be as helpful as I can by sharing the little knowledge I glean along the way.
While I don’t consider myself an expert homemaker or cook, I feel very passionate about making things easier on myself, and other moms, for that matter. It’s just been a week, but these are the measurable improvements I’ve seen thus far:
- My family is eating pretty decent food every night of the week. At home.
- I’m not stressed AT ALL about cooking every night. It is seriously SO easy to throw something in the crockpot or oven, toss a salad, and call it good.
- Having such a huge portion of my “housework” completed has made me more proficient in keeping up with everything else. This week, my house and laundry were under control. For once. It’s like being in high school and finishing your math homework in study hall. Just having the math done gives you such a sense of accomplishment and power. Everything else is a breeze to finish. That’s how I think of this freezer cooking adventure. I’m freed up.
This savory beef and bean mix is the perfect base for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, salad, or soup! It freezes beautifully and can be portioned off for easy single-serving meals.
- 1 lb. Hamburger meat
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 4.5 oz. can of green chili peppers
- 1 package of Ranch mix
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 red onion and cilantro, for garnish
- In a large skillet brown hamburger meat; drain the fat.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning with 1/4 cup of water (according to directions on package).
- Simmer for five minutes.
- Pour black beans, chopped bell pepper, chili peppers, and ranch mix into the meat mixture. Stir until blended.
- Simmer for five minutes.
- After it is cooled, place 1/2-3/4 cup servings in Ziplock sandwich bags. Press and lay flat for easy storage in the freezer. Mix can be thawed overnight in the fridge, or under tepid water in the sink. Heat over stovetop or in the microwave until hot. Serve in tortillas with favorite toppings.