DIY Hansel and Gretel CostumesOct 31st

hansel and gretal

Happy Halloween, y’all!

It’s a freezing, cold day over here. So of course the kids will need to wear jackets over their costumes. Sigh.

I agonized over what they would be this year. It truly is the last year I have any say in Chaucer’s attire, so I wanted to make it count. I wanted it to be agonizingly adorable.

And then, like a lightbulb that flickers on in a storm, I figured it out.

Hansel and Gretel.

How cute, right? I already had a skirt and shirt for Coco–both found at the thrift store last year for about $.50. I made another trip to my wonderful thrift store and found this awful red tuxedo shirt. That was pretty much all I needed to get going.

Everything was made with a glue-gun and heat ‘n’ bond. Cause I don’t sew. Here’s a few pointers if you’re interested in replicating this look:

DIY Hansel and Gretel Costumes

For Gretel:

diy hansel and gretel costume

• A white blouse, or white long-sleeved shirt. You could even use a small women’s blouse and just cinch it in where needed.
  • A peasant-looking skirt. This one was from Gap and is made from a wool-blend, but I think you could get the same look with one of those 50’s felt skirts. There’s a tutorial here.
  • A head scarf.
  • Ricrac, lace, buttons, and any other trim you fancy.
  • A basket for her breadcrumbs {wink}.

For Hansel:

hansel costume

• A white collared shirt–extra points if you can get your hands on a peter-pan collar.
  • A pair of leggings, a few sizes up. I cut a pair of Coco’s, and used the heat ‘n’ bond to adhere “cuffs.”
  • A straw hat. The one I used was from the dollar section in Target. I glued a little band around it to coordinate with Coco’s outfit.
  • Knee socks.
  • Ricrac, lace, buttons, and yah, whatever else you want to trim it with.

diy hansel and gretel costume

I pretty much eye-balled it while I glued on the trimmings, and I had a few safety-pins handy after I put them in their costumes. They held up nicely with how active my kids are. And we got TONS of compliments! I’m so pleased with how they turned out.

We went to a little festival over the weekend and I just took these photos with my phone. I’ll get a BUNCH more tonight! So for now, here ya go!

Do you have plans for today? What are your kids dressed up as?

22 Responses to DIY Hansel and Gretel CostumesOct 31st

1. Caitlin MidAtlantic October 31, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Oh my goodness, how CUTE!! They are so adorable!

• hillary November 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Thank you!

2. Sonya October 31, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

oh my gosh they look so cute!

stopping in from SITS

• hillary November 2, 2012 at 4:45 am #

Thank you so much!

3. Sue - The Spin Cycle October 31, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

Love! Reminds me of the time I dressed The Twins as Raggedy Ann & Andy for Halloween. This year? Twin A is Ms. Captain America and the boys are something I can’t really put my finger on, involving morph suits and random accessories.

4. Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome October 31, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

OMG adorable! I want another kid so I can dress them in cute matching outfits for Halloween like that! I’m going to have to remember that for when I do :-)

• hillary November 2, 2012 at 4:45 am #

Yay! Glad you liked it–now that you have another carseat you can get crackin’ on the baby makin’ hehehe

5. Bohemian Babushka (@BBabushka) November 1, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Those costumes (and of course your children) are adorable!!! Reminds me when my trio and Babushka would go to the thrift stores for our costumes- how fun to see their imaginations go wild. Of course I could have lived w/out my daughter dressing like a dead beauty queen, but that’s the chance you take. Here from the SITS girls and hoping your Halloween was wonderful. BB2U

• hillary November 2, 2012 at 4:44 am #

Thank you so much! I love that you are a Bohemian Babushka!

6. Karen November 1, 2012 at 1:33 am #

You are so very creative! Awesome costumes!!! Good job my fellow Mama!

• hillary November 2, 2012 at 4:44 am #

7. Deanna November 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

I sooo wanted to dress my same-sized toddlers as Raggedy Ann and Andy this year, but I couldn’t find the time to hunt for a matching Andy costume to the Ann one I found at a resale shop. lol. So they went as Raggedy Ann and Skunk. ha. Love the Hansel and Gretel idea! Might have to steal that when my two get a bit older. (-:

• hillary November 2, 2012 at 4:43 am #

DO IT! I figured this was the LAST year I could get away with this…it was fun :)

8. Kim@Co-Pilot Mom November 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

So adorable! Gotta love those thrift stores! (By the way, I don’t sew, either! :) )

9. My Inner Chick November 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Fabulously Creative :) ))

• hillary November 2, 2012 at 4:43 am #

Thanks :)

10. Kelley November 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Those costumes are ADORABLE! I am super impressed that you made those yourself!!

• hillary November 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Thanks! I got lucky with the costumes because I found just the right pieces to make it easy on me. All I needed was a little hot glue :)

11. dumb mom November 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

FANTASTIC! I wish the Dudes would let me like actually have their way with their costumes. I’d like to make a themed Halloween. I bet I could convince them to do Zombies next year. SO I could be Michael Jackson Thriller of course!

• hillary November 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Now there’s an idea! I knew this was probably my last year I could exploit the cuteness. So glad I got to do it!

1. Real Princess Costume - October 14, 2013

[…] you want to find out how I did last year’s DIY Hansel and Gretel costumes click on the photo below! Also, check in tomorrow because you will NOT want to miss […]

2. The Halloween Conundrum - Because my life is fascinating - October 20, 2015

[…] to see my favorite Halloween costumes from the past? I loved making these Hansel and Gretel costumes a few years […]