TGIF: Because This Week SuckedFeb 15th

Guys, I’ve been in a funk.

This entire week was just a complete wash. I cannot say that I accomplished one single thing. Everything I try to do ends up failing.

The four blog posts I tried to write this week—–> failed.

The vlog I created for Wednesday and decided not to post—–> failed.

The “I’m gonna work out every day this week”—–> failed.

The elaborate DIY valentines I was supposed to make with Coco for her class (yes, cellophane bags were involved)——> failed

(I didn’t use the bags.)

Anything I cooked——-> failed.

Purchasing white frosting for Coco’s valentine party ——> failed!

I can’t even get freaking frosting! I went to the store the night before to get it. I got everything but that because I’m a space cadet and bent on failing at everything this week.

Twenty minutes before school starts I remember and rush to the nearest grocery store to get it. The nearest grocery store happens to be Whole Foods. Love that place, BUT they’re not exactly reliable for normal stuff.

You need organic blue cheese-stuffed-grapes stuffed inside olives and then baked in a gluten and egg-free popover? They have that, no problem.

You need frosting for a preschool cookie decorating project? Oh, just head over to the bakery area and you can purchase their special frosting that is refrigerated. I should have known.

When I went to pick her up the teacher told me that they couldn’t use my fancy-organic-clean-frosting because it was in fact glaze and wouldn’t hold up for their project.

Failed! I failed at buying. frosting.

I am happy it’s Friday and I can start over next week.

I expressed my funkedness on Facebook, and can I just say that those of you who come to my rescue on Facebook are my favorites? No joke, I’ll ask a question, announce good news, announce bad news—it never falls flat. You folks provide encouragement and support. Thanks for that.

Shout out to a few good souls who are always the first responders:

Rachel–you told me to blog about my funk and that maybe it will end after that. So here I am, taking your advice. Lets hope it works!

Laura–you’ve always got my back, and not long ago you begged me to get back to my blogging. I think something shifted after that so you must be some sort of muse. I love you, girl!

Christine–whether it’s on Facebook or in my blog comments you encourage the heck out of me. You said that this could be God’s way of replenishing me. I’m taking this weekend to let the Lord do just that!

Nicolette from Momnivore’s Dilemma–You said I should make something. Well, I dipped my peanut-buter Ritz sandwiches in white chocolate. Um, it probably wasn’t the best idea. This weekend I am going to attempt to redo a lamp. I will dedicate it to you.

Kim from Too Darn Happy–I’m still waiting for you to show up with the chocolate 😉

Ok, there are many others who just rock my world with your encouragement and funny comments. I wish Facebook wasn’t so lame with the whole timeline thing. Out of my now 1,114 (OMG I can’t believe I made it to the 1000 mark!!) only about 100-200 of you will see my status updates. It’s ridiculous. Anyways, if you want to see my posts you have to interact so that Facebook knows you care about me. I know you care, but Facebook is a jerk…that’s quite a tangent and not the point of this post.

Moving on…

So why have I been in a funk? Well, I think part of it is the time of month, and part of it is the time of year. Chock it up to being a hormonal woman and the general blah of February.

I don’t like January or February very much, do you? After the excitement of the holidays, January feels like a cold shower. A cold shower followed by the damp and mildewed towel that is February.

I am quite pleased with this analogy.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I start out all motivated for the new year with grand resolutions and a desire to conquer the world. But then, when February rolls around with its dreariness and wanna-be holiday hype with a super dorky holiday, and I just want to throw that mildewed towel in.

Sigh.

But I cannot. I cannot keep being an unproductive pig. I need to stop stuffing my face with the Ritz and get my booty moving.

Make stuff.

Do stuff.

Enjoy stuff.

Surely I can’t stay in a rut if I do those things, right?

This weekend I want to recharge and refresh. I want to pray more. I want to walk more. I want to laugh more.

I need to take my own advice and find the fascinating in the mundane. As quickly as you can figure something out, you can lose sight of what that thing is. But enough of that! I’m getting with my own program, by golly.

Whatdya think? Can I pull out of this funk and get back to happy bustling? Are you in a funk? Whats your  go-to method for rebooting?

Finally, would you like to join me in my weekend recharge? You can follow me on Instagram @hilljean and see my progress. Also, I am starting my own little hashtag and I would love for you to give it some street cred! Just tag #findingthefascinating for anything that floats your little boat.

Find joy in small things. Find something funny. Give thanks. You know, that sort of stuff. I would love to see what is fascinating in your life right now! We’re all in this together, mkay?

motivational quote

27 Responses to TGIF: Because This Week SuckedFeb 15th

1. Amanda February 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

I really hope you will feel better next week. I followed (and documented( the #January Joy prompts every day of January and it really helped me beat the blues.
    I bet you can do some (or all) of those things: get a manicure, make naughty things to eat, go for a walk, read a new book, do something crafty…
    For me it’s reading, baking and drinking tea that does the trick. Also cooking, finding parks and spending time with the husband.
    I love the sentence “Find the fascinating in the mundane”, great hashtag too!

2. Kristen February 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

I’m a new follower of your blog. I’m sorry you are having a sucky week. I too believe its the time of year and I love your analogy of a cold shower followed by a damp moldy towel.

I’ve been feeling funky too. I am trying to find myself at the age of 42. I have been out if work since last March and while I don’t want to go back to work I’m getting bored out of my mind. On top of that hubby works from home most of the week and I feel I can’t get anything done.

I’ve also been under the weather for the past several weeks and am now on several inhalers which leave me feeling like caca.

To top it off, I need to loose some weight and now I can’t exercise for several days.

Hugs to you…..

Someone told me once when I was in a funk….go buy a flowering plant…but if somewhere hat will make you happy.

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Sorry you are in the pits too! I think it really is the winter blues. Yucky. I want to get outside and try to run or something but its FREEZING! I’m thinking about doing a Jillian Michaels video–but usually I get annoyed with her yelling at me.

I think the plant idea is nice! Flowers always cheer me up :) Thanks for being a new follower and commiserating with me. Here’s to you, me, and everyone else beating this nasty funk!

3. Amanda Nelson February 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

You are not alone! I have been so very un-motivated this month. I had all these plans for filling my Etsy shop, blogging every day, organizing the house.. I have not accomplished a single one. The sun finally came out today, so hopefully I can get outside and soak up some of that vitamin D!!

• hillary February 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Vitamin D. I forgot about that. Maybe thats what my problem is!

4. LittleBowman February 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Aw, Hil. Feel better! The metaphor is totally appropriate. Wet towel indeed. I can only think in terms of quarters- it gives me something to look forward to, plus there’s something every season. My birthday in Jan, Easter in spring, loads of family bdays in summer, Thanksgiving in Nov, then Christmas. The rest of the time is just in-between waiting. And that means my goals are only three months long. So much easier and much less pressure when I have blah weeks. Get some sleep, eat some chocolate, get some baby kisses.

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks for letting me see it that way. It would help if my birthday, anniversary, Christmas, and hubby’s birthday weren’t all in the same month. Oh, add to that my Dad’s, niece, and brother’s birthday.

I need to start making three-month goals!

5. Mimi February 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Hill I love ya….Your an AWESOME: wife…mom…daughter-in-love :)
    FUNKS are the pits….We do all have em…
    You have such wonderful friends….1.GO HAVE A FUN GIRLS NIGHT!!!!!!
    2.LAUGH
    3.LET PAPA JACK AND MATT BABYSIT SUNDAY NIGHT :)
    LOVE YA TONS MIMI

• hillary February 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Mimi! I cannot wait. Love you so much!

6. Natalia February 16, 2013 at 12:34 am #

I’d have a girls night with you!! Google+ date maybe? I’m always available & try to read all your FB posts but they might happen when i’m sleeping. Love ya & Hang in there, it’ll pass!

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

We need to have another Google+ date for sure!

7. Kim February 16, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Had I known we were wallowing in the same sty, we could have turned it into a girl’s spa retreat complete with natural mudpacks.

I, too, have been flailing and failing. I find what works best is to just put my head down and just start something. Like a cold engine, though, my spirit is reluctant to start. If I just keep at it, though, I will eventually get engaged.

I have no doubt you will get revved up again soon.

Sorry about the chocolate-I ate it all on my way to your place. ;-D

8. Aleta February 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Well… you could possibly look at this another way….

“Fail everything this week” – PASS

See, there’s always a silver lining, sometimes you just have to squint to see it :)

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

Genius. So I did actually pass at something!

9. Chris Carter February 16, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Oh have I BEEN there my sweet friend!!! It tends to spiral out like that doesn’t it? I LOVE encouraging you and I am so so touched that it means something to you… :)

These winter months SUCK. I. GET. YOU. I just loved how you put it:
    “January feels like a cold shower. A cold shower followed by the damp and mildewed towel that is February.” May I add that March is the mold in the bath tub that has fermented through Jan and Feb??? lol

Feeling like we’re failing is the worst most awful thing EVER. I like to think about what this week (maybe yours) would look like if I saw it five years from now…looking back. That always gives me a better perspective. It always seems so large and overwhelming and quite frankly, crappy when you’re “in it”. But will you remember all the crap of this week in five years? Maybe a few things…not sure. But try to keep the perspective of the big ol’ picture to help keep you encouraged. Then the greatest thing you can do if make yourself think of all that is worthy of praise. No matter how dark your heart is, doing this simple task will shed a bit of light on it!

Surefire way to ban the funk!! PHIL 4:8 BABY!!! I will join you in that perspective… lets find some LIGHT!!! :)

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

I don’t want to think of March as the fermented tub…It’s just too much to take in. Sigh.

Thanks for the awesome perspective, Chris! You really are such an encouragement. Phil. 4:8…good stuff. This stuff probably won’t even be remembered in five years, except for this blog post to memorialize it.

I’m determined, against all odds (since I just watched the season finale of Downton Abbey) that this week will be brighter!

10. laurie February 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

Everyboday gets bad weeks just try to pass them. After all remember the famous quote – it is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously, that u might as well not live at all. J.K Rowling

11. Keely February 17, 2013 at 4:38 am #

Oh, honey. Yes. Just- yes. (And seriously, Whole Foods. COME. ON.)

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

I know, right? The teacher told me to stop buying the “fancy” stuff. Psh.

12. Sabrina Espinal February 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Well, just stop. drop. and roll. Here’s to starting this week with a Monday holiday for President’s day.

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

Absolutely! Except I remember these holidays being more fun when I was the one in school. Not my kids.

13. Marcia February 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

The “sucky week” thing must be going around like the flu!! So glad to hear that I was not alone in my “sucky week” — the whole misery loves company. I feel like I often set myself up for failure to the extent that no matter how hard I try I will NEVER succeed in all that I want to accomplish! We have to be gentler with ourselves. Thanks for a wonderful post!

• hillary February 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Its quite the epidemic! Wish there was a nice, cheap, over-the-counter pill that would solve it all.

14. kerri February 19, 2013 at 12:38 am #

AWwww! Well, if it makes you feel better, I took the day off today from school (my school didn’t honor the presidents, I guess) and accomplished NOTHING. Oh, I watched Kathy Lee and Hoda. Hoda ALWAYS makes me feel good because she sounds just like me. Like,forgets mismatched shoes at her hotel. Oh, then, I sent one email. It was an important email, and it took a lot of energy. I also took one nap. Do you understand what I am saying? I had the whole day to myself in an empty house, and I accomplished NOTHING! I didn’t even take a shower until right before my kids got home from school. Now, I am drinking a beer to take the edge off of such a day (It is way past 5:00 central time). And, to get ready for the next one. I am sorry you are in a rut! I bet by now you are out of it though! YAY!

15. Anna February 23, 2013 at 1:55 am #

i hear you. some months just pack more blah than wow. love the idea of #findingthefascinating

• hillary February 23, 2013 at 6:49 am #

Great! Please use it on Instagram and Twitter so I can follow your fascinating :)

1. keep it real - February 21, 2013

[…] last week–oy. Even though I was in a funk, there were still things I had to do to keep my “business” moving forward. Such as […]