Wordful Wednesday: How To Take Awkward Family PhotosAug 29th

Today is a big deal, folks. I’m finally going to share the awkward family photos we took a month ago!

Ok, ok. Maybe you got a sneak peak on my Facebook–the personal Facebook account. Now I have two Facebooks. If you’re not a Facebook fan of Because My Life Is Fascinating, please take a minute and “like” me. I figure if you’re here now then most likely you actually do like me. We’re friends. I would share my last stick of gum with you, don’t ya know?

So go like me. I’ll wait here and find more gum.

I’m still waiting.

Why hello again! Alright, time for the big reveal! So I must confess, getting something awkward on purpose with two toddlers is actually very difficult. While my kids generally cooperate in screwing up a good picture they just didn’t seem to think this worth their while.

I suppose they could sense a difference in attire and stance, and thought, “So they’re wanting awkward. I’ll give ’em cute…No, wait. I’ll just be boring. For once.” Devious little minions.

This one’s a little better.

The good news is the hubs and I happen to be very awkward people great actors and we managed to pull something off. At least I think so.

We decided to do Awkward Romantic Photos, and that’s something for you newly engaged ones to think about. What about saving the date with something awkward? Something that people will REALLY want to put up on their fridge. It’s just a thought.

Our theme sort of evolved for us on the sand.We went for Dirty Dancing and it actually turned out a little more dirty than anticipated.

It started out innocent enough.

Still good. Nerdy, but good.

And then this happened.

Yes, he is holding me up by the boobs. NO, we did not do that on purpose. Remember, we’re not skilled gymnasts, nor do we practice yoga of any sort.

So yes, you could say I took one for the team.

We went to great lengths for these photos. I just want you to appreciate that.
But then sometimes we try to be awkward and just end up looking adorable. It’s a curse, really.
Sometimes we try to be cute and just end up looking awkward.

In this photo, Coco was supposed to kiss Chaucer’s cheek as I kiss Matt’s. Why she had to first peel her brother’s face off is a mystery and bother to me. Clearly. I believe I am hissing at her right here. Meanwhile, Matt looks on with puppy adoration cause I’m just so darn cute when I’m angry. Chaucer’s wondering how long he has to put up with this before he can go chase that seagull over yonder.

Yes, I think that explains what we’re doing for any curious onlooker. And just so you know, we CAN take a good picture, too. It’s just not as fun.

Well, did I inspire you to embrace the awkward? Are you gonna do it now? Are ya, are ya, are ya? Do you have any great awkward photo ideas?

***

P.S. These photos were taken by the very beautiful and talented and wonderful Emily Rickard of Juxtapose Media.
****
Linking up over at 504 Main for Tickled Pink Fridays and What’s Shakin’ Link Party! Head over there for some really awesome projects, recipes, photography, and writing–seriously, you’ll probably just wanna pin everything on there!
Tickled Pink at 504 Main

52 Responses to Wordful Wednesday: How To Take Awkward Family PhotosAug 29th

1. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 11:51 am #

These photos are so fun and fabulously awkward! Love them!

2. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Oh I love this! And my boobs are hurting in sympathy for that one shot… 😉

First Day of Fourth Grade

3. Sarah Beth August 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

This made me laugh so hard. Thanks =) Needed that this morning. Found your blog via Wordless Wednesday link party and am following. Come check out my blog if you get a chance =)

Sarah @ Our Family of Three
    woodsfamilyofthree.blogspot.com

4. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Thank you! That's what we were going for :)

5. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Yes, I wish we had prepared a little more for such a sacrifice. Maybe some chest exercises or something.

6. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

This is so funny! I love the outhouse one! I may have to swipe that idea!

7. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

ahahah these are AWESOME

8. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Haha! I serious laughed out loud at this!! (My son came over to see what I was laughing about… he didn't get it…). If only kids would cooperate for pictures… {sigh}

9. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

Go for it! Just make sure you're both wearing shoes! You'll notice my husband forgot his :0

10. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

Thanks! They were so much fun to take!

11. hilljean August 29, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

Yah, the humor is a little advanced, I like to think 😉

12. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 1:27 am #

LOL!! I love all of the pictures! They're fun… silly… unique… and probably just you guys!

13. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 3:20 am #

I'm not sure if I love the Port-O-John picture or Coco peeling Chaucer's face off more!

14. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 3:29 am #

Love them! And, yes, not matter how hard you try to be awkward, you're still adorable!

15. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 4:36 am #

I avoid photos like the plague. But I have a fav' awkward one…I was 9, and we were on a family cruise, dressed to the nines, all poised…and then smack dab front and center, me, bent over double, hair all cousin-it like, hands hanging down like I'm dead. It speaks volumes and will be..WILL BE the cover of that book/memoir I wanna write.

16. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Yes, they are us. We are terribly awkward people, so I think this captures us pretty well :)

17. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 8:49 am #

I know. I really think the accidental awkwards are actually the most funny. It's positively violent, but I love it.

And I'm still grossed out that my husband wasn't wearing any shoes. Shudder.

18. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Aww thanks, Karee. I think the fun we were having might have been used against us 😉

19. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Oh. Oh. Oh. I want to see this! It sounds like the creme of the crop! If you weren't using it as a book cover I'd beg you to let me feature it over here! But that'd be like me asking to borrow an heirloom. That's so wonderful. Thank you for stopping by!

20. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

You always want pictures to capture the type of person you are. For instance, I am incredibly clumsy, am always coated with bruises, and am ever sarcastic. Now, if you can find a way where I am able to incorporate all of that into one image, I will worship you. No, really, WORSHIP. I will send you pies. (Unless you don't like pies; then I will send you brownies.) Anyway, I think these pictures are hilarious, and they'll probably always make you laugh. “Nice” family photos are always good to have and to pass on to others, but the candid ones–the “unfortunate” and ill-timed ones–always show us who we are at that moment.

21. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

So now I guess I really should scan and post our really awkward family pictures that we took without trying to be awkward! Seriously, I ran across a few the other day that are hard to beat!

22. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

I like pies and brownies! Let's see…I am not sure about the bruises, but I've seen pictures on Pinterest where they do like a mud fight or paint fight. Do you watch Modern Family? It's like my very favorite show on TV (besides Downton Abby) but anyways, they try to take a huge family picture and everyone is wearing white. All white. And then somebody gets mad and chucks a big handful of mud. It escalates into a giant mud fight and the photographer captures it. The pictures are so fun!

I think you're right about the unfortunate photos. That's probably why everyone loves awkward family photos so much. I'm thinking long and hard about this year's Christmas card 😉

23. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

When I come up next weekend I want to grab some of them and scan them! I'm sure we've got some gold in there.

24. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

You have one adorable family…awkward or not!

25. hilljean August 30, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

This is so stinkin' hilarious!! I Love it!

26. hilljean August 31, 2012 at 2:09 am #

Okay, the porta-potty one is amazing. As is the one with the face peel.

27. hilljean August 31, 2012 at 4:58 am #

28. hilljean August 31, 2012 at 4:58 am #

Good! I'm glad it brought a smile :) I hope to inspire awkwardness all around!

29. hilljean August 31, 2012 at 4:59 am #

Yes, the face peel might be blown up and framed. It might be the Christmas card. Who knows?

30. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 9:00 am #

This post is AWESOME!! If I was braver, I would post the ABSOLUTELY HECK NO DELETE THOSE RIGHT AWAY photos from our family shoot, ha ha. Thanks for sharing these :)

31. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Love the idea but would not be able to cope with being held up by the boobs. I guess I'm just not that dedicated to the cause!

Sarah

32. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 10:23 am #

I love it – hilarious!

33. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I laughed out loud!! This is awesome! :)

34. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

DO IT! Don't you think those ones are so much more interesting and say so much more about you? Hahaha!

35. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

You know, I didn't even notice while it was happening. But I was definitely dedicated. Awkward family photos are difficult to take on purpose, believe it or not.

36. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Thank you!

37. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Good :) Glad it made you laugh!

38. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Aww! Very cute – love these silly photos!! :)

39. hilljean September 1, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Thanks :) We had so much fun taking them!

40. hilljean September 2, 2012 at 4:03 am #

Hahaha! That was hilarious! Love it.

41. hilljean September 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

You know we never take an awkward photo in this house (wink, wink!). You made me smile with this post. Cute family.

42. hilljean September 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Thanks, Holly for the feature! You rock!

43. hilljean September 21, 2012 at 4:00 am #

Ok, seriously.. this is my first time on your blog and I am crying I am laughing so hard! I came via pinterest for the mother daughter dates. Very entertaining!

44. hilljean September 21, 2012 at 4:10 am #

Yay! Glad you came and glad you liked it :) Some people probably wouldn't see the humor, but I'm glad you did!

45. AJ Collins March 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

HAHAHAHA! I love these. I was sitting and perusing Pinterest and saw this and I love awkward things and this made me almost pee my pants. Thank you. I am now following just because you made me laugh so hard. My favorite is the one with your little girl squishing your boys face… awesome.

• hillary March 12, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Yay! Glad you got a laugh out of it!

46. Kellie December 3, 2013 at 9:08 am #

OMG, the adorableness in these is ridiculous! And the description of what is going on in the pic where Coco is “peeling off” Chaucer’s face was hysterical! Thank you for the fun start to my morning!

• hillary December 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Hahah! Glad you liked it. Her peeling off his face is one of my all time faves 😉

1. Best Christmas Card Poses - November 8, 2012

[…] not quite sure what we’ll be sending out this year…maybe our Awkward Family Photos? I’m still thinking about it. So, if you’re stumped I’ve got the perfect listity […]

2. 10 Fall Family Dates by Because My Life is Fascinating — Bonbon Break - October 18, 2013

[…] if you want to have some REAL fun, take Awkward Family Photos-–guaranteed to be a good […]

3. 10 Fall Family Dates - October 21, 2013

[…] if you want to have some REAL fun, take Awkward Family Photos-–guaranteed to be a good […]

4. Little Boy Haircuts 2014 | Because my life is fascinatingBecause my life is fascinating - May 13, 2014

[…] actually is the genius behind my awkward family photos. Yes, they were on […]