What Laryngitis Sounds Like: A Mouse on The BachelorJan 23rd

All last week I was sick. In fact, I spent the entire four day weekend in bed. Besides feeling sick, it was kind of wonderful.

I stayed in bed.

All weekend.

I didn’t shower.

All weekend.

I watched TV shows.

All weekend.

And I slept. so. much. I was smart enough to save this sickness for MLK weekend. Note to moms: get sick over the holiday so that your husband–or friend who is off work 😉 can take care of the kids and YOU can get a break.

To be clear, I was very sick. But beyond the fever, aches, and gallons of mucous coming out my nose–the most annoying thing about the ordeal was losing my voice. I HATE not being able to talk. It kills me.

I felt like Ariel in The Little Mermaid. Some big, fat, hideous octopus of a flu came and snatched my lovely little tune. And I just wanted to be part of your world, ya know?

I mean, I could talk a little. But I sounded like a mouse. A strangled, whining mouse. I made a video to show you, and I want you to know that this video cost me quite a bit of voice to make. If you look closely you’ll notice my neck gets really red and veiny by the end. Cool.

If you want to catch up on more YouTube nonsense, you can subscribe to TheHillJeanTV.

***

Psst! This was part of the Vlogging Challenge put on by the fabulous MamaKat! Wanna dip your toes in vlogging? MamaKat will get you started with her great prompts and weekly link-ups!

29 Responses to What Laryngitis Sounds Like: A Mouse on The BachelorJan 23rd

1. Kim@Co-Pilot Mom January 23, 2013 at 11:23 am #

A mouse that got kicked off the bachelor – funny! But really, poor you! Hope you are feeling better now!

• hillary January 23, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Wouldn’t that really be funny? Maybe I should contact ABC…

2. veronica January 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Aww, you poor thing! Being sick is the worst :( But high five for the great use of the mouse voice to imitate the mouse voice girl. That was spot on!

• hillary January 23, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Yah, I found the advantage of losing my voice. Anything for a good blog.

3. Jennifer January 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Mothering is basically impossible when you can’t yell.

• hillary January 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

No joke! I actually broke down and cried at one point because it was so frustrating not to be able to yell!

4. Ginny Marie January 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Even sick, you are hysterical! And yes, I did get the flu shot. I hope your laryngitis disappears soon!

• hillary January 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

It’s on it’s way out :)

• Tom January 24, 2013 at 11:54 am #

The deal of it is no I had a bad cold not a bad deal but I’m hoping I don’t get the flu!

5. Sue - The Spin Cycle January 23, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Poor Mousy Babygirl.

And regarding the flu shot? The ONE year The Cherubs got it was the year that they ended up coming down with nasty cases of swine flu. Yes, all three of them. Simultaneously.

And giving it to the neighbor kids.

Never again. {knock wood}

Feel better, my friend.

• hillary January 23, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Wait…so when they got the flu shot they contracted swine flu? Sheesh! I kind of am one of those people on the fringe of the conspiracy theory…but then I get really sick and my husband didn’t (he had the shot) so I question everything.

Except UFOs. Those things are totally legit. 😉

6. Jen January 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

Oh you poor girl! I hope you are feeling better now.

I am pro flu shot but I did get a cold this year that made me loose my voice, completely. I had to whisper yell at the kids. It was not fun, they could not hear me. It sucked.

• hillary January 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Our kids are too loud to hear a whisper. They would have to be dead silent to hear my mouse voice over their raucous ones :/

7. candotche January 23, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

you poor thing! I have been sick too, it’s NOT COOL! Especially with Joe working. So I got both the girls a flu shot and they both have been sick with the flue 3, THREE, times since December. So I don’t think it really helped…So I said Yea, but wished i’d said Neigh…is that how you spell that? Anyway, I love you. And I miss you. And I wish we could lay and watch dumb TV together with tissue sticking out of our noses. And…I don’t have anything else to say. LOVE.

8. Wombat Central January 24, 2013 at 1:26 am #

If it makes you feel any better, I say “yea” and still got the flu last week. 😛

I have lost my voice many times in my life, and it’s the most frustrating thing to not even be able to answer the phone. Save the voice, doll. Whisper!

PS I think my kids love when I lose my voice. :)

9. Miriam Gomberg January 24, 2013 at 1:53 am #

OMG!! I wanted to cry after hearing your Vlog post. I don’t think I will ever miss getting a flu shot again!

• hillary January 24, 2013 at 4:09 am #

Oh dear! It was supposed to make you laugh–not cry. But go get that flu shot :)

10. Aleta January 24, 2013 at 4:20 am #

*writes note to self * “When sick, pick a holiday!” Excellent! Hope you are feeling a lot better now!

• hillary January 24, 2013 at 7:20 am #

Glad that’s taken care of. You’re gonna have to wait about a month before you can get sick now.

11. Naila Moon January 24, 2013 at 4:31 am #

Go back to bed girl! Did you have a voice left after this video?
    I no longer have children living in my home but will certainly pass your advice off to those who do. lol

Get well.

• hillary January 24, 2013 at 7:20 am #

I did not have a voice after this video. I think the laughing really strained it. But it was well worth it :) Thank you, Naila. P.S. your name is amazing!

12. Chris Carter January 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

How can you even be adorable when you are sick???? I did NOT get a flu shot and came down with the flu for 8 days…awful!!! BUT my kids did and my hubs did…and they got it too and were pretty much awful too, so there it is…. I lost my voice a while back when my kids were little and it SUCKED!!!! I did a lot of miming and facial expression and hands flying in the air!!! SO hard!!! hang in there!!

13. Chernell January 24, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Bahahaha!! Hill, I’m sooo sorry you’re sick! But that was absolutely entertaining! I think it’s totally sexy btw 😉 Last year I got the flu shot, and then I got the flu two days later. It sucked. Not to mention that the shot actually sucked too. Tender arm for a week. So maybe it would have helped but maybe it wouldn’t have. Remember there are many different strands of the flu going around and that shot only covers about 4 of them. Love you! Get better :)

• hillary January 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

I am glad to have entertained you, Chernell. In fact, my day is made. :) Love you, cuz.

• Chernell January 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Love you back!

14. Jeanne January 24, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

I loved your vlog! Hope your voice comes back fully soon, although it did make a great bachelor mouse! I’ve never had the flu shot and only got the flu once 2 years ago. *knocking on wood*

15. Jessica January 25, 2013 at 1:29 am #

You are so funny, I rarely vlog let alone when I’m sick. And why do you look so cute even when you are sick. Good call though on the MLK weekend. Hope you are all better.

• hillary January 25, 2013 at 3:42 am #

Oh, you can bet I put makeup on for that. And it was after the weekend–on the day that I had finally showered.

16. amber January 25, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

i love you so much and this vlog made me laugh so hard!!